My backyard critters were calling me from daybreak as a young squirrel was sharpening it's teeth on fence outside my window.
  I decided "to bird" at home most of the day, while working in and around the house.
  Not a long list of species, so will speak some of the "birds".

  Not so many eurasian tree sparrows, guess the storm and house repair next door sent them elsewhere. Had only two pair around today. But the house sparrows more than made up for it. You don't really want to know how many there were.
  Cardinals made a big showing with yet 3 young still being fed.. and begging and begging, literally from daylight until dark.
  Only one blue jay noted, squawking strongly from tree to tree.
  Probably 6-8 mourning doves. just eating.. what else do they do?
  Early a.m. had a flyover of about 12 Canada geese.. in formation.. nice "picture".
  Mid-morning, a beautiful red-tailed hawk soared slowly directly above my yard (maybe 50 ft.), wings all spread out so Bill Rudden could have named every feather.. really gorgeous.
  About three families of house finches around most of the day.
  A pair of Carolina Chickadees flitted and "buzzed" around.. love those little ones, cute at birdbath. (Bath time was about noon for most of birds)
  About 6-8 American crows were flocking , sounded all "American".
  Carolina wren, mentioned earlier today was practicing a low buzzing on the back fence.
  Only one n. mockingbird around.. Wonder if those feathers found earlier had been from the juvenile seen earlier.
  Two ruby-throated hummingbirds coming at same time.. think the usuals, one female and one male juvenile. seemed less aggressive.
   10-12 Rock doves flying mostly behind house over commercial area of Crestwood.
   2 chimney swifts flying north early evening.
     One interesting note re: feeders.  While digging in yard, birds would avoid the feeders unless I turned my back to the feeders.. They are watching us, watching them..
  THE PRIZE:  I wanted to see flocks of common nighthawks migrating south. So, this early evening, I put the back down on the chaise, with binocs in hand and waited.. Well not a large flock.. and not seeming to migrate.. but first one, then two.. and so on until five were circling overhead. They seemed to be dining and not migrating. But it was so neat. Could see the markings with the binocs.. Would never have recognized otherwise.. although now have a good idea of the shape in flight.
   So I've called it a day/night.

 Jane Allen
St. Louis County
http://mobirds.org/