I had a nice look at a Henslow's Sparrow Sat, eve at Helton Praire Natural Area, part of Helton CA in Harrison Co. Also had Song and Field Sparrows on the CA, lots of AM. Goldfinch in the Thistles along the roads and heard many Gray Catbirds - all "mewing" - none singing.

Sunday eve I found Grasshopper Sparrow, and an early Savannah Sparrow at Dunn Ranch. I was surprised that there were quite a number of Bobolinks still there. Was glad to finally see a Northern Harrier. I had not seen one since last Spring! They seemed to have all left North Mo. about the time the last of the Snow finally melted. I thought I heard a Short-eared Owl also but it was getting late by then and I couldn't see it. Saw a covey of about 15 Bobwhite Quail, and couple of RN Pheasants, but no Praire Chickens. I had seen a flock of 20+ Wild Turkeys earlier at Grand Trace CA, when I went there to check the Pine Groves. I have checked several Pine Groves last few days in North Mo./ SW Iowa and found no Red-breasted Nuthatches. I'm thinking it may not be a good Winter to see them in this area. Last year first one I found was on Sept 1st.

 Later,
  Steve Kinder
Chillicothe, Livingston Co.