  My backyard critters were calling me from daybreak as a young squirrel was
sharpening it's teeth on fence outside my window.
  I decided "to bird" at home most of the day, while working in and around
the house.
  Not a long list of species, so will speak some of the "birds".

  Not so many *eurasian tree sparrows*, guess the storm and house repair
next door sent them elsewhere. Had only two pair around today. But the *house
sparrows* more than made up for it. You don't really want to know how many
there were.
  *Cardinals* made a big showing with yet 3 young still being fed.. and
begging and begging, literally from daylight until dark.
  Only one *blue jay* noted, squawking strongly from tree to tree.
  Probably 6-8 *mourning dove*s. just eating.. what else do they do?
  Early a.m. had a flyover of about 12 *Canada geese*.. in formation.. nice
"picture".
  Mid-morning, *a beautiful red-tailed hawk* soared slowly directly above my
yard (maybe 50 ft.), wings all spread out so Bill Rudden could have named
every feather.. really gorgeous.
  About three families of *house finches* around most of the day.
  A pair of *Carolina Chickadees* flitted and "buzzed" around.. love those
little ones, cute at birdbath. (Bath time was about noon for most of birds)
  About *6-8 American crows* were flocking , sounded all "American".
  *Carolina wren,* mentioned earlier today was practicing a low buzzing on
the back fence.
  Only one *n. mockingbird* around.. Wonder if those feathers found earlier
had been from the juvenile seen earlier.
  Two r*uby-throated hummingbirds* coming at same time.. think the usuals,
one female and one male juvenile. seemed less aggressive.
   *10-12 Rock doves* flying mostly behind house over commercial area of
Crestwood.
  * 2 chimney swifts* flying north early evening.
     One interesting note re: feeders.  While digging in yard, birds would
avoid the feeders unless I turned my back to the feeders.. They are watching
us, watching them..
  THE PRIZE:  I wanted to see flocks of *common nighthawk*s migrating south.
So, this early evening, I put the back down on the chaise, with binocs in
hand and waited.. Well not a large flock.. and not seeming to migrate.. but
first one, then two.. and so on until five were circling overhead. They
seemed to be dining and not migrating. But it was so neat. Could see the
markings with the binocs.. Would never have recognized otherwise.. although
now have a good idea of the shape in flight.
   So I've called it a day/night.

 Jane Allen
St. Louis County

http://mobirds.org/