Thanks David, I had this page it's the specific lines which Eliot actually mentioned I am trying to find. I made a scribbled note but have recently returned to Saudi and I thought it was among my luggage..I live in hope, still searching.

Mike
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Boyd
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2010 5:31 PM
  Subject: Re: Eliot's opinion

  Mike

  Might it be

  http://www.victorianweb.org/previctorian/johnson/vanity1.html

  (various online texts of the poem are around, too.)

  regards

  David

  On 4 September 2010 14:10, mikemail <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

    I recently came across a copy of A Poem and a Vanity of Human Wishes by Johnson.  The introductory essay by TS Eliot 1930.  Can someone direct me to the lines which Eliot considered an example of good poetry -the best ever written - I have lost the reference which I took from the book.

    Mike