From: [log in to unmask] href="http:[log in to unmask]" rel=nofollow target=_blank>David Boyd
To: [log in to unmask] href="http:[log in to unmask]" rel=nofollow target=_blank>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 10:28 AM
Subject: Re: On this day/For Carroll in particular

Jerome's remarks chime with me after my experiences this Saturday, when, as part of Whitehaven UK town (the only place in the UK to have been attacked in a guerilla / terrorist raid by the American Navy, but we'll forget that, Mr. Jones...) we were treated to a tour of a few of the town's churches.

In many UK towns now, doubtless mosques and temples might have been on the tour, but we covered a lot of the spectrum, from dour-ish Presbyterian/Nonconformists via Anglican 'Happy-Clappy' Low Church and Anglican High-ish Church to the visually stunning Roman Catholic Church, which is still operated by Benedictine Monks as a 'mission' from their very distant abbey.

The common denominator in all this denominational diversity was very obviously the sincere faith; goodwill and tolerance of all those who met us and proudly showed us their places of worship and explained a little of their faith and even let some of our number have a try at ringing some changes on all their bells.

For some TSE-content, suppose The Hippopotamus comes to mind - but what's the Biblical fragment - In my House there are many mansions.......etc.

It was an all the absolute antithesis of bunker-mentality and hatred and bigotry, which is why I mention it here.

(I can well understand Mike's discomfort in having to live in a far kess diverse and tolerant society.)
)

regards
David