Carrol wrote:
> In this season of Know-Nothing rage against Migrants & Muslims, the
> following poem seems particulary appropriate. It could be read in
> Churches, posted on the bulletin boards of classrooms, circulated to
> friends and fellow workers. It contains a good deal of history not often
> mentioned. It is a pity it fails to contain a reference to the
> pacification of the Philippines a century ago, which formed the model
> followed by the Japanese in their Burn All Loot All Kill strtegy in
> China, as well as inspiring Kipling to write his "White Man's Burden,"
> specifically intended to honor the U.S. policy in the Philippines.
>
> Carerol

Gee Carrol, you and Emmanuel Ortiz seem to have forgotten a few things.

Don't worry. I haven't forgotten:

> A full day of silence
> for the tens of thousands of Palestinians
> who have died at the hands of
> U.S.-backed Israeli forces
> over decades of occupation.

Israel was created by the U.N. to provide a homeland after the slaughter of 6,000,000 Jews during World War 2.

> Nine months of silence
> for the dead in Hiroshima
> and Nagasaki,

And 3 days later the Japanese surrendered, ending World War 2. That surrender saved the lives of millions of Allied forces, not to mention the millions of Japanese who would have surely died in the upcoming invasion of Japan.

> for the millions of dead
> in Vietnam

After the fall of South Vietnam, the Communists (as they are often-inclined to do), killed huge numbers of non-communists and established "re-education camps" to suppress free thought.

> A year of silence
> for the dead in Cambodia and Laos,
> victims of a secret war ... ssssshhhhh ....
> Say nothing .. we don't want them to
> learn that they are dead.

Is he referring to Nixon's secret war or the secret killing fields set up by Cambodia's victorious Communist Regime, the Khmer Rouge?. The Vietnamese Communists (mentioned above) were rank amateurs in brutality compared to the Khmer Rouge: about 1/3 of the entire Cambodian population was massacred for the 'crime' of opposing the communists.

You also forgot to mention Stalin and his "Great Purge": Let me remind you:

"In light of revelations from the Soviet archives, historians now estimate that nearly 700,000 people (353,074 in 1937 and 328,612 in 1938) were executed in the course of the terror, with the great mass of victims being "ordinary" Soviet citizens: workers, peasants, homemakers, teachers, priests, musicians, soldiers, pensioners, ballerinas, beggars.

"After the Soviet Union dissolved, evidence from the Soviet archives also became available, containing official records of the execution of approximately 800,000 prisoners under Stalin for either political or criminal offenses, around 1.7 million deaths in the Gulags and some 390,000 deaths during kulak forced resettlement  for a total of about 3 million officially recorded victims in these categories. "  (Source:Simon Sebag Montefiore. Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar. pp. 649)

> If you want a moment of silence,
> put a brick through
> the window of Taco Bell,
> And pay the workers for wages lost

No economic system ever devised has created so much wealth for so many people as capitalism. To believe "the common worker" would be better off if businesses closed down is hopelessly nave.

> Tonight we will keep right on singing
> For our dead.

And while were focusing on the dead and downtrodden, let's remember whats going on in Africa:

"Kivu, geographically and politically remote from Kinshasa, has become the killing field in what is being called Africa's world war. Proportionally, it is a conflict that dwarfs any British war: it has already claimed 5 million lives and cruelly disrupted millions more. Yesterday, a leaked report from the UN accused neighbouring Rwanda of a genocidal spree as its Tutsi-controlled army hunted down Hutu refugees in the late 1990s. (The Guardian, Saturday 28 August 2010)"

"The United Nations reported Tuesday that more than 500 systematic rapes were committed by armed combatants in eastern Congo since late July more than double the number previously reported (Associated Press, September 7, 2010)".

-- Tom --