From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Chokh Raj
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:37 PM
Subject: Re: T.S. Eliot and rock music

Lines from "Floorshow" - a fascinating lyric - strong resonances here vis-a-vis Prufrock, TWL, and Gerontion:

"This is the floorshow the last ideal
 It’s populist got mass appeal
 The old religion redefined
 For the facile futile totally blind

 Mundane by day inane at night
 Pagan playing in the flashing light
 In the violet hour to the violent sound
 Going round and around and around and around and around
 And the bodies naked on the low damp ground
 In the violet hour to the violet sound
 And the darkness the blinding the eyes that shine
 And the voices singing line on line"

Thanks, George.

CR

--- On Tue, 9/28/10, George Carless <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Chokh Raj ([log in to unmask]" ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]) wrote the following on Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 04:14:06PM -0700:

> T.S. Eliot and rock music
> Elizabeth Willse
> September 22, 2010
>
> "I enjoyed the rhythms of the language....Maybe that’s what gave me the idea that The Waste Land ought to be a rock opera. Sorry, Andrew Lloyd Weber, I’d prefer you sit this one out, in favor of something more darkly electronic. Just to capture the way reading it was spooky and dystopian, completely out of step with a sunny Sunday."
>
> http://open.salon.com/blog/elizabethwillse/2010/09/22/ts_eliot_and_rock_music
>
> albeit a sample of young taste
>
> CR
>

> Some picks from Wikipedia:

*snip*  I can't miss an opportunity to plug the mighty Sisters of Mercy, whose lyrics are fabulous--even if you don't like the music. An early
song, Floorshow, steals from TWL, while 'Dominion/Mother Russia' borrows from Gerontion to alude to Ronald Reagan:

We serve an old man in a dry season
A lighthouse keeper in the desert sun
Dreamers of sleepers and white treason
We dream of treason and the history of the gun

The rest of that song borrows from popular culture, Shelley's Ozymandias and Bob Dylan in a glorious Dr. Strangeloveian celebration. Check it
out - http://www.thesistersofmercy.com/lyrics/dominion.htm

Ok, back to lurking...

George