  From: Chokh Raj
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:37 PM
  Subject: Re: T.S. Eliot and rock music

        Lines from "Floorshow" - a fascinating lyric - strong resonances here vis-a-vis Prufrock, TWL, and Gerontion:

        "This is the floorshow the last ideal
         It’s populist got mass appeal
         The old religion redefined
         For the facile futile totally blind

         Mundane by day inane at night
         Pagan playing in the flashing light
         In the violet hour to the violent sound
         Going round and around and around and around and around
         And the bodies naked on the low damp ground
         In the violet hour to the violet sound
         And the darkness the blinding the eyes that shine
         And the voices singing line on line"

        Thanks, George.

        CR

        --- On Tue, 9/28/10, George Carless <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
          Chokh Raj ([log in to unmask]) wrote the following on Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 04:14:06PM -0700:

          > T.S. Eliot and rock music
          > Elizabeth Willse
          > September 22, 2010
          >
          > "I enjoyed the rhythms of the language....Maybe that’s what gave me the idea that The Waste Land ought to be a rock opera. Sorry, Andrew Lloyd Weber, I’d prefer you sit this one out, in favor of something more darkly electronic. Just to capture the way reading it was spooky and dystopian, completely out of step with a sunny Sunday."
          >
          > http://open.salon.com/blog/elizabethwillse/2010/09/22/ts_eliot_and_rock_music
          >
          > albeit a sample of young taste
          >
          > CR
          >

          > Some picks from Wikipedia:

          *snip*  I can't miss an opportunity to plug the mighty Sisters of Mercy, whose lyrics are fabulous--even if you don't like the music. An early
          song, Floorshow, steals from TWL, while 'Dominion/Mother Russia' borrows from Gerontion to alude to Ronald Reagan:

          We serve an old man in a dry season
          A lighthouse keeper in the desert sun
          Dreamers of sleepers and white treason
          We dream of treason and the history of the gun

          The rest of that song borrows from popular culture, Shelley's Ozymandias and Bob Dylan in a glorious Dr. Strangeloveian celebration. Check it
          out - http://www.thesistersofmercy.com/lyrics/dominion.htm

          Ok, back to lurking...

          George