One very key question, before you go any further, is figuring out whyyou want the phd.
There may well be other better ways to pursue your goals, depending on what they are.

P.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">David Boyd
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2010 3:27 PM
Subject: OT - validity of a doctorate prcademic institutions oposal

Hallo All

Forgive me for seeking possible advice and guidance, but I am presently seeing supervision from a UK university regarding a proposed PhD thesis that would, in effect, be a critical biography of a modern(ist) UK poet

I seem in these endeavours to encounter a brick wall in the form of what I maybe irreverendly call all the ''isms' of literary theory, in that many academic institutions here don't perceive mere 'life-writing' as sufficiently-weighty literary  research.

I'm getting a little frustrated by this (to me) constrained and blinkered approach, and would very much welcome any observations from the List members.

More detal if required set out here

http://www.bigcitylit.com/bigcitylit.php?inc=spring08/articles/boyd

I'd argue there is a lot of TSE-content as regards the Modernism overall, as well as specific, very significant encountrs with TSEb and with Faber, but others may see differently.

Best Wishes

David
Cumbria, UK.

ps

a much-fuller draft proposal exists, if required.