Jerome's remarks chime with me after my experiences this Saturday, when, as
part of Whitehaven UK town (the only place in the UK to have been attacked
in a guerilla / terrorist raid by the American Navy, but we'll forget that,
Mr. Jones...) we were treated to a tour of a few of the town's churches.

In many UK towns now, doubtless mosques and temples might have been on the
tour, but we covered a lot of the spectrum, from dour-ish
Presbyterian/Nonconformists via Anglican 'Happy-Clappy' Low Church and
Anglican High-ish Church to the visually stunning Roman Catholic Church,
which is still operated by Benedictine Monks as a 'mission' from their very
distant abbey.

The common denominator in all this denominational diversity was very
obviously the sincere faith; goodwill and tolerance of all those who met us
and proudly showed us their places of worship and explained a little of
their faith and even let some of our number have a try at ringing some
changes on all their bells.

For some TSE-content, suppose The Hippopotamus comes to mind - but what's
the Biblical fragment - In my House there are many mansions.......etc.

It was an all the absolute antithesis of bunker-mentality and hatred and
bigotry, which is why I mention it here.

(I can well understand Mike's discomfort in having to live in a far kess
diverse and tolerant society.)
)

regards
David