BAAS Annual Conference 2011

University of Central Lancashire
April 14 -17, 2011

I am putting together a panel for the upcoming British Association of American Studies which is hosted by the Transatlantic Studies Association (TSA).  The theme is Transatlantic Memory and Public Memorials (see attached abstract).  The TSA is multi-disciplinary and I have yet to find someone to contribute on transatlantic literature monuments/memorials.

There are two interesting memorials in Chicago's Lincoln Park (of Goethe and Schiller) and I was curious if you could circulate this email to Goethe Society member and German Studies scholars to see if they would like to contribute a paper.

Details of the BAAS conference are available online (http://www.baas.ac.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=252:baas-annual-conference-2011&catid=3)
Feel free to circulate my e-mail address as a point of contact.

Best Wishes,
Mike Cullinane

Dr. Michael Patrick Cullinane

Lecturer US History
Review Editor Journal of Transatlantic Studies University College Cork Cork, Ireland
+353 (0)21 4208525
www.antiimperialist.com<http://www.antiimperialist.com>

Transatlantic Memory and Public Memorials

Collective memory is shaped in many ways, but perhaps most publicly in the memorials a nation chooses to construct. Public memorials are designed to conjure collective memories of national achievements or of short-comings, and in many cases are designed to celebrate these in a transnational context. This is particularly true in the Atlantic. Public memorials have been erected to honor transatlantic cooperation in twentieth century war, be it in grand monuments like the World War II Memorial in Washington or in somber reminders of conflict like the graveyards of Normandy. But war memorials do not have an exclusive claim on shaping collective memories through memorializing. Atlantic migration memories are preserved in this way like the memorials to Irish famine emigration or the Jewish flight from Europe during the holocaust. The impact of the arts in the Atlantic is memorialized as well, like in Chicago’s memorials to eighteenth century German writers Goethe and von Schiller. Further still there are memorials to transatlantic religious movements, civic achievement, heroes, and disasters that have helped to shape the collective memory of the Atlantic.

We seek scholars with research on how public memorials have contoured the collective memory of the Atlantic. Papers should seek to answer one or more of the following questions: How have transatlantic memorials been used to shape collective memory in the Atlantic; what do transatlantic memorials say about the trends in the Atlantic context (either at the time they were built or throughout their subsequent years of existence); How can analyzing these memorials push the boundaries of scholarship in transnational studies?

Burkhard Henke
Professor of German
Davidson College
Davidson, NC 28035-6956