Scott and Bob,
I did make a very brief stop at Horseshoe Lake this morning on my way to
work.  It is a rather small oxbow that is hidden from the highway by a
railroad track and levee. It is on MO-45 just south of the Garrison Sod
Farm (which is just south of the Platte River) and across the road from
the Baker Road intersection (where there is a large anhydrous ammonia
tank and an RC airfield).  There was definitely water present but I
didn't really see an open spot to access the oxbow.   I felt like I was
on private property and even though it was not posted I felt like I
didn't belong there without permission.  It did look like there might be
some shorebird habitat as there is an area that looked to be very
shallow; maybe just a thin sheet of water straight west of where you
cross the tracks, I did not really get close enough to investigate
fully.  I didn't see any birds around anywhere but I didn't really get a
very good look.  Maybe if one of the authors of that book see this they
can chime in on the property ownership status of this location.

I actually requested permission to spot birds on the sod farm a couple
of years ago and was told that I could park near the barn and do this.
I should probably call again and inquire about the oxbow as well.   I
have never really seen many shorebirds on this sod farm (lots of
Killdeer) but it does seem like it could be productive for Buffies and
Upland Sandpipers.  I did scope it a couple of weeks ago (I have been
out of town for the last two weeks) from the south side of the Platte
River bridge as there is a place that you can pull off there (it was
occupied by rail workers this morning so I didn't stop there today).

There have been a few places in the river bottoms that have had
persistent flood water for most of the summer but as luck would have it
many of these spots have dried up in the last couple of weeks.  There
may still be a few spot along FF between Parkville and Waldron but I
have not taken that road for a few weeks.  I did visit a few spots like
this on the Kansas side (in northern Leavenworth and southern Atchison
counties) last evening and only found one Pectoral Sandpiper and two
Spotted Sandpipers among the many Killdeer and Great Blue Herons.

John Bollin
Leavenworth County, KS