Just FYI – If you’re venturing out to see the Black-bellied Whistling Ducks, you might as well head to Lawrence first before venturing north.

From the Kansas Listserve:

This morning we had a Reddish Egret north of Lawrence on 1600E road, south of 24/40 in the wetlands on the west side of the road.,  1600E is the road to the quarry ponds and previous eagle nest and south of the airport.  The wetlands are about 1/4 of a mile south of the highway.

In the same area there was an American Bittern, Green Heron, Least, Percotoral, and Spotted Sandpipers (8 total), and Kildeer.

On the north side of 24/40, we had a Great Blue and Wood Ducks.  All the usual little birds: goldfinch, grackles, cowbirds, cardinals, blue jays, crow...

We dipped on Buff Breasted Sandpiper at the sod farm.   There are no sod fields on the north side of the highway this year, only on the south.  The old catfish ponds are completely grown over.

The closest turnpike exit (204) is closed.

Beverly and Robert Yates

Shawnee KS