Hey, everone,

Sorry I've been a little remiss in keeping everyone informed about the upcoming field trips for BAS. In case your not getting the information through "Burroughs Announce" or on the Burrroughs Audubon Society's website (www.burroughs.org) , here's the scoop on what's going on this weekend and next...

Sunday, August 15 - Olathe Prairie Center and Kill Creek Park with Nic Allen. Join Nic on this metro area field trip. We'll begin by visiting the 300-acre tallgrass preserve and education site, known simply as the Prairie Center, with trails that wind through remnant and re-established prairie and riparian woodlands. Some of the species that we hope to find include: Yellow-breasted Chat, Eastern Towhee, Grasshopper Sparrow, Dickcissel, and Blue Grosbeak. For those who wish to continue after lunch, we'll visit Kill Creek Park, the newest and third regional park in Johnson County Parks & Recreation District's extensive system. Here, we hope to find various herons and egrets, raptors, migrating shorebirds, swallows, and Great-tailed Grackles. Meet at 7:30 a.m. in the Prairie Center parking area at Santa Fe (135th St.) and Cedar Niles Rd. Directions: take I-35 to Santa Fe (exit 218) and go 5.25 miles west to Cedar Niles Rd. Bring lunch, snacks, drinks and insect repellent. Hiking at the Prairie Center will be on gravel trails over uneven terrain. Hiking at Kill Creek will be on asphalt paths. For more information, contact Nic at or 913-375-8030.

Sunday, August 22 - Grand Pass Conservation Area with Sherry Leonardo. Join us at this, largely, wetland area along the Missouri River in Saline County. For a unique opportunity, we'll spend some time with Dana Ripper, co-founder of the Missouri River Bird Observatory, as she bands migrating shorebirds. Dana has received grants from the Missouri Department of Conservation to study birds that use Grand Pass and has banded 27 species not previously reported by birders in CACHE. Meet at 7:00 a.m. in the Blue Springs commuter lot. Directions: from I-70 (exit 20), go 0.4 miles north on MO Hwy 7; the lot is on the north side of Price Chopper and behind O'reilly Auto Parts. Bring lunch, snacks, drinks and insect repellent. For more information, contact Sherry at or 816-763-1393.

(If you have questions, please contact the tour leaders at the above phone numbers.)

Heidi Retherford
BAS Field Trip Committee