Hey, everone,

Sorry I've been a little remiss in keeping everyone informed about the upcoming
field trips for BAS. In case your not getting the information through "Burroughs
Announce" or on the Burrroughs Audubon Society's website (www.burroughs.org) ,
here's the scoop on what's going on this weekend and next...

Sunday, August 15 - Olathe Prairie Centerand Kill Creek Parkwith Nic Allen. Join
Nic on this metro area field trip. We'll begin by visiting the 300-acre
tallgrass preserve and education site, known simply as the Prairie Center, with
trails that wind through remnant and re-established prairie and riparian
woodlands. Some of the species that we hope to find include: Yellow-breasted
Chat, Eastern Towhee, Grasshopper Sparrow, Dickcissel, and Blue Grosbeak. For
those who wish to continue after lunch, we'll visit Kill Creek Park, the newest
and third regional park in Johnson County Parks & Recreation District's
extensive system. Here, we hope to find various herons and egrets, raptors,
migrating shorebirds, swallows, and Great-tailed Grackles. Meet at 7:30 a.m. in
the Prairie Center parking area at Santa Fe (135th St.) and Cedar Niles Rd.
Directions: take I-35 to Santa Fe (exit 218) and go 5.25 miles west to Cedar
Niles Rd. Bring lunch, snacks, drinks and insect repellent. Hiking at the
Prairie Center will be on gravel trails over uneven terrain. Hiking at Kill
Creek will be on asphalt paths. For more information, contact Nic at  or
913-375-8030.

Sunday, August 22 - Grand Pass Conservation Area with Sherry Leonardo. Join us
at this, largely, wetland area along the Missouri River in Saline County. For a
unique opportunity, we'll spend some time with Dana Ripper, co-founder of the
Missouri River Bird Observatory, as she bands migrating shorebirds. Dana has
received grants from the Missouri Department of Conservation to study birds that
use Grand Pass and has banded 27 species not previously reported by birders in
CACHE. Meet at 7:00 a.m. in the Blue Springs commuter lot. Directions: from I-70
(exit 20), go 0.4 miles north on MO Hwy 7; the lot is on the north side of Price
Chopper and behind O'reilly Auto Parts. Bring lunch, snacks, drinks and insect
repellent. For more information, contact Sherry at  or 816-763-1393.

(If you have questions, please contact the tour leaders at the above phone
numbers.)

Heidi Retherford
BAS Field Trip Committee