Bryan: Thanks for the tip. I stopped at the Big Muddy in Chesterfield this morning before it got too hot. The shorebird habitat near the parking lot was perfect. There were mud flats and a large area of shallow water. When I was there, hundreds of shorebirds were feeding. Dozens of killdeer were on the mud flats, with several species of sandpiper out in the shallow water. In scanning the flocks of shorebrds, most were Pectoral, Spotted and some Least. There were 3 or 4 Stilt Sandpipers, also. There were quite a few Snowy Egrets mixed in, too. I took pictures of rafts of shorebirds and when I process the photos, I might find a couple other species were there as well.
With hot sunny days forecast for this week, this area will be drying up fairly rapidly. If you want a good shorebird show, check this out as soon as you can.
Dave Pierce
West St. Louis County, MO.