Scott and Bob,

I did make a very brief stop at Horseshoe Lake this morning on my way to work.  It is a rather small oxbow that is hidden from the highway by a railroad track and levee. It is on MO-45 just south of the Garrison Sod Farm (which is just south of the Platte River) and across the road from the Baker Road intersection (where there is a large anhydrous ammonia tank and an RC airfield).  There was definitely water present but I didnt really see an open spot to access the oxbow  I felt like I was on private property and even though it was not posted I felt like I didnt belong there without permission.  It did look like there might be some shorebird habitat as there is an area that looked to be very shallow; maybe just a thin sheet of water straight west of where you cross the tracks, I did not really get close enough to investigate fully.  I didnt see any birds around anywhere but I didnt really get a very good look.  Maybe if one of the authors of that book see this they can chime in on the property ownership status of this location.

I actually requested permission to spot birds on the sod farm a couple of years ago and was told that I could park near the barn and do this.  I should probably call again and inquire about the oxbow as well.   I have never really seen many shorebirds on this sod farm (lots of Killdeer) but it does seem like it could be productive for Buffies and Upland Sandpipers.  I did scope it a couple of weeks ago (I have been out of town for the last two weeks) from the south side of the Platte River bridge as there is a place that you can pull off there (it was occupied by rail workers this morning so I didnt stop there today)

There have been a few places in the river bottoms that have had persistent flood water for most of the summer but as luck would have it many of these spots have dried up in the last couple of weeks.  There may still be a few spot along FF between Parkville and Waldron but I have not taken that road for a few weeks.  I did visit a few spots like this on the Kansas side (in northern Leavenworth and southern Atchison counties) last evening and only found one Pectoral Sandpiper and two Spotted Sandpipers among the many Killdeer and Great Blue Herons.

John Bollin

Leavenworth County, KS