Mike,
Thanks for your thoughtful comments.  I am glad to hear of the work being
done to bring back Bachman's Sparrow  and to expand the range of Swainson's
Warbler in your area.   I am currently very much involved with giant cane
restoration at Drury-Mincy CA, and know that that particular Conservation
Area and IBA has done much to lure back the species.

I wasn't thinking when I failed to realize that the presence of the elk may
very well be one of the missing elements in an ecosystem that supports
Bachman's Sparrow's preferred savannah habitat.

If I know that resources are being used to restore endangered and recently
extirpated species of birds in Missouri and that the presence of elk may
even facilitate this effort, I can easily support the reintroduction of
elk.  I certainly support the presence of wolves in Yellowstone and
surrounding areas, and have personally witnessed a pack feeding on a young
bull mouse they killed in the Lamar Valley a couple years ago.

Thanks for increasing my awareness,
Greg Swick
Ozark, Missouri