I'm concerned that someone will read Mark's e-mail and believe that harming the cats is the best way to protect the buntings and other wildlife. He, himself, proposes a friendly solution - that the cats be taken to a new location - but the fact is that you can't really just release an animal on someone's property without permission. Plus, relocation may protect the buntings, but it won't protect the birds in the new location. I believe that the cats are unlikely to bother any birds as long as they have easy access to food from the restaurant dumpsters. However, if there's any indication that they are socialized and could potentially be adoptable, then I think that trapping them and taking them to the shelter provides the opportunity for a much better life.

Amy J. Hoffman
Jefferson City
Cole County

From: Mark Gutchen <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, July 18, 2010 9:00:58 PM
Subject: Re: Painted Bunting -- Jefferson City

I went to visit the painted bunting family about 10:45 am this morning. I saw a mocking bird, two blue jays, a catbird and many house sparrows. I waited for about 30 minutes, but no painted buntings. Then I had to go to the office.

I was very concerned to have disturbed two cats who were climbing out of the dumpster. They appeared to be strays. One was a Siamese cat and the other a yellow cat. When they saw me they ran off into the bushes right where the bunting nest is thought to be. They are dangerous neighbors for the bunting family. Maybe someone who knows the management of the Steak & Shake may propose to set a have-a-heart trap to see if they can catch the cats and take them where the cats will be safe and the buntings protected.

Mark Gutchen
Columbia, MO

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Crabtree" <[log in to unmask]>