For the benefit of newer birders, I should have explained my use of the term, "Patagonia effect" when I posted the find of a Neotropic Cormorant among the cormorants of Blue Springs Lake. The term refers to a famous rest stop along Route 82 near Patagonia, Arizona, where Rose-throated Beccard and Thick-billed Kingbird could reliably be found in the sixties and seventies. (They may still be there). The many birders who visited the rest stop also found many other rarities there over the years. The term "Patagonia effect" suggests that birders eventually find rarities wherever they go frequently -- i.e. the rest stop turns up rarities because it attracts birders, not because it is particularly attractive to rarities. The term has often been used to explain the discovery of a rare bird at a location visited by a lot of birders.

The discovery of a NECO at Blue Springs Lake was a good example of the Patagonia effect. Lots of birders were going there to see the Brown Pelican. Someone was bound to scan the cormorants while waiting for the BRPE to show. But for the BRPE, it is quite possible that NECO could have been there all summer without discovery.

Bob Fisher
Independence, MO