The rising sun found me sitting in Clarence Cannon Refuge hoping to see some
nice birds.  I started off way in the back as I came in prior to sunrise.  In the
pool to the west and toward the end of Big Pond Rd, I saw 1 "rail" like bird
enter the water for a moment and then it ran back into the vegetation.  This
pool is a long distance from the road so I could not I.D. it for sure.  While at
this location, on the east side of the road, I heard a handful of Grasshopper
Sparrows.  I then drove back toward the area where the King Rails have been
spotted and found Bill Brennan and Mark Middleton viewing the female and the
chicks at close range.

I quickly got my gear ready and spent the next hour or so taking images of
the chicks learning the craft of hunting from their mother.  What a show!!!
Will try to get some images posted up later showing some of the feeding
sessions.  I must admit, I had no idea how much they ate!  They ate frog
after frog.  Was a treat to see this as well as meeting some folks from this
ListServe.

Jason G. Harrison
Troy, Missouri