Shorebird fall migration always sneaks up on me.  I'm enjoying
reports from Thompson River and other places.  As for many of you, my
birding time is limited.  So please keep the reports coming to
maximize the time each of us has.  I went to the CACHE site on
mobirds.org and searched for dunlin and dowitcher for any July and
got no returns.  So I tried semipalmated sandpiper, and got several
locations.  Willet got some returns, Otter Slough, far from me, and
Cooley Lake which is relatively close. But that was in 2002, and the
last time I saw Cooley Lake, there was no open mud, just one vast sea
of lotus.  Has anyone been there recently? How about Grand Pass? As
to Cooley Lake, all shorebird reports are old (that I found in
cursory search).  What is the management history of that area?
June Newman
Carrollton