From: Birds & Their Habitats in Kansas [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mark Land
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:01 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Brown Pelican adventures

The saga of Brown Pelican continues.

On May 12 Barry Jones reported a Brown Pelican at Quivira NWR that they
watched for 20 minutes. It was not observed again.

Then on June 29 Rosella Royer reported two Brown Pelicans flying over Pony
Lake in Brown County. One landed and stayed until July 5th being seen by
many birders.

On July 13th a Brown Pelican was reported by Jean Simmons and photographed
at Blue Springs Lake in Missouri (part of the eastern Kansas City metro) and
was still there yesterday.

In studying the photos of each of these sightings it appears to be the same
or a very similar bird. Usually one is found and then disappears never to
be seen again. Makes me wonder if this is one of last years immature birds
returning to the area for a second year. And where did the second one Rosella
saw go? Hmmm!

Mark Land
Overland Park, KS 66207

http://listserv.ksu.edu/archives/ksbird-l.html