Thanks everyone for your help with the chicken hawk confusion. I googled the term and was embarrased to find out it can be a derogatory name. As for my boss's sighting, I expect it was a red-tail. We do have several in the area of my office. I was taken off guard when he volunteered that it was bigger than a red-tail (I didn't feed him the species name or show him a picture), but I've learned since I started birding that a lot of people think they know a bird by name but don't. I've been told more than once about bald eagles that turned out to be turkey vultures!

Amy J. Hoffman
Jefferson City
Cole County

From: Bill Eddleman <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, July 8, 2010 4:23:37 PM
Subject: Re: What's a chicken hawk?

Not much out there is bigger than a redtail—except eagles. Perhaps there is confusion because females are substantially larger than many male redtails.

Most “chicken hawks” were probably Cooper’s Hawks, which are just now becoming pretty common in our part of the state after being persecuted for decades. I would imagine the occasional redtail probably also would kill a chicken. After all, many chickens are among the most stupid birds around!

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau