Not much out there is bigger than a redtail—except eagles. Perhaps there is confusion because females are substantially larger than many male redtails.

Most “chicken hawks” were probably Cooper’s Hawks, which are just now becoming pretty common in our part of the state after being persecuted for decades. I would imagine the occasional redtail probably also would kill a chicken. After all, many chickens are among the most stupid birds around!

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Amy J. Hoffman
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: What's a chicken hawk?

My boss came in to tell me he saw a chicken hawk behind our building before I got here this morning. I said, that's nice, what's a chicken hawk? Apparently a colloquiallism that his family used when he was growing up. He says it's bigger than a red tail and eats chickens. May a red shouldered?

Amy J. Hoffman

Jefferson City

Cole County

http://mobirds.org/