Thanks, but I must give credit where credit is due: my friend Mike Hicks was kayaking in that section of the lake looking for Ospreys when he found the bird. He called me to see if it was a juv White Pelican and that's when I ran to the lake. Thanks to the previous reports in the state I suspected that I knew what he was looking at!

Happy birding, Ruth Simmons Lee's Summit, Jackson Co., MO [log in to unmask] "A nation behaves well if the natural resources and assets which one generation turns over to the next are increased and not impaired in value." (Theodore Roosevelt)

From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Brown Pelican - Jackson County MO
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 21:58:03 -0500
To: [log in to unmask]

Congrats!  Great find.

Edge

On Jul 13, 2010, at 9:35 PM, Ruth Simmons wrote:

Thanks for posting Karen!

The pelican seemed to have settled into the tree for the night, so I will be out at first light tomorrow morning to see if I can get better pictures. And anything will be better than what I took tonight! I didn't have my scope attached to the tripod and the light was very poor. The first two are blurry and he was hunkered down, but the third is a little better and his neck is stretched out more, but you can't see his bill. I will try to put it on my facebook page and put a link on MObirds in a bit.