KMOS-TV and the Audubon Society of Missouri are joining forces during the KMOS-TV On-Air pledge drive, and we are looking for 6-8 ASM members willing to travel to Warrensburg on Sunday August 1.

KMOS will air two programs of interest to birders and nature lovers (see below), and we are looking for ASM representatives from across our viewing area to join us in the studio to answer incoming phone calls during the pledge drive. You will receive on-the-job training in talking to the callers and taking the pledges for KMOS. We will also provide a tour of our facilities, as well as some munchies to keep you alive through the evening. There will be time for a little socializing as well. We ask that you arrive before 3:30 p.m., and you will be free to leave by 7:30 p.m. (a side note, the programs, complete with your breaks, will re-air on tape at 10:30 that night - so you will be able to see yourselves after you get home!)

For more information, or to volunteer, please contact me at KMOS-TV -  660/543-4042 (or [log in to unmask]). If you need a ride from Columbia, please contact either Susan Hazelwood or Bill Clark who have generously volunteered to drive members from the Columbia area. In addition, Bill has agreed to be the voice of ASM, so you won't have to worry about talking on TV if you don't want to.

They will depart Columbia at 1:00 pm on August 1, meeting at the area under the Parkade Center sign, in the southwest corner of the parking lot, on Business Loop 70 West. If you would like to volunteer, and need a ride with one of them, please contact Bill at 573/474-4510, or Susan at 573/445-4925 (or [log in to unmask]).

KMOS-TV (Missouri PBS) reaches into 38 central Missouri counties surrounding our tower near Tipton/Syracuse (west to east from Bates county to Gasgonade, and from Chariton to Laclede).

The programs we'll air are:

4:30 p.m.  Opposable Chums: Guts and Glory at the World Series of Birding - This humorous documentary produced by Jason Kessler (with fantastic footage of birds shot by Tim Barksdale) follows several teams competing in the annual event in New Jersey. Equal parts scavenger hunt, science expedition, and endurance test. Among the teams, one mounts a paramilitary operation replete with infrared and GPS devices, one team does the event on foot, jogging almost 50 miles, after scouting for weeks, another team has the entire 24 hours planned to the minute, and a Seniors team counts only the birds that fly by the bench on which it sits all day.  Of course there will be appearances by David Sibley, Kenn Kaufmann and Pete Dunne.

6 p.m.  Nature Hummingbirds: Magic in the Air  Representing one of nature's most interesting paradoxes hummingbirds are the tiniest of birds, yet they qualify as some of the toughest and most energetic creatures on the planet. This film features beautiful high-definition, high-speed footage of hummingbirds in the wild.

Thank you for your consideration, and we at KMOS-TV look forward to working with you on August 1.

Sincerely,

Michael O'Keefe
Program Services Coordinator
KMOS-TV
University of Central Missouri
Office:  (660) 543-4042

(and a member of Audubon Society of Missouri, and Burroughs Audubon Society of Greater Kansas City)

Posted for Michael O’Keefe by Susan Hazelwood