Hi Amy - I believe "chicken hawk" is used in reference to Cooper's and Sharp-shinned hawks as well as Red-tailed hawks. I think the term has little to do with whether these birds will regularly eat chickens and more to do with their chicken-like appearance while looking for food along freshly plowed fields.

Ben
St. Louis