Hey all,

After a few comments on my previous post, I went back and looked at my
pictures again and re-identified what I thought was the American Bittern as
a juvenile Black-Crowned Night Heron.  It makes a lot more sense given the
terrain (wouldn't expect a Bittern in such an open area with no reeds) and
its relative ease with the present company (wouldn't expect a Bittern to so
calmly tolerate a bunch of noisy Egrets).  I just had never seen a juvenile
(or adult for that matter) Night Heron, so I didn't know to expect one.

Thanks to all those who commented on my post.  I appreciate you taking care
of the correction in private rather than in public, but I felt a public
retraction was necessary so as to help educate other new birders on the
potentially common misconception.

Cheers and good birding,
Chase Darr
Columbia, Boone Co., MO