My wife and I went to Eagle Bluffs this evening on a mission to find the
Worm-Eating Warbler.  Had no luck on that, but got 3 Wood Thrush (FOY) and 4
Yellow-Billed Cuckoo over about a 2 mile trek south on the Katy Trail
adjacent to Eagle Bluffs.

Once we got into Eagle Bluffs proper, we had a Green Heron (FOY) flyover
headed north over the distribution channel just north of the first one-way
loop.  Driving a bit further down the road, we saw a pair of Great Blue
Herons flying towards a dead full-sized tree downfield from Pool 13 that
frequently has Turkey Vultures or Bald Eagles perched in it.  Today it was
full of Great Blues...20 of them to be exact.  It was definitely a sight to
behold!

The rest of the drive was pretty boring, but I was able to rouse up 3 Common
Moorhen in Pool 10 (heard only, they stayed in the cattails).  I admit I
used a playback.  Honestly, I didn't expect them to be there as I haven't
seen them in over a month.  It was definitely a surprise and I felt kinda
bad in hindsight, but it was nice to know they're still there.

In all, it was a slow day as far as numbers go, but we got 44 species this
evening.

Cheers and good birding,
Chase (and Katie) Darr
Columbia, Boone Co., MO