Amy and all:
I had some business to conduct out in Central MO. today, so I drove over to
Jeff City to look for the Painted Buntings. I was hoping to photograph the
male if possible. I spent 2 hours there at the Steak N Shake from 10am to
noon. The male showed up and was singing in a tall tree behind the
restaurant. He would sing for several minutes and the first two times he was
there, I couldn't find him in the leaves. I saw him when he flew off toward
the west and went out of sight.
The third time he sang in the same tree, I did spot him in the leaves but it
was impossible to get a photo because he was so hidden. He again flew off to
the west to an undetermined place.
No female was seen in the area. There were two stray cats hanging around the
dumpster when I was there. If there was a nest in the area, these cats would
probably find it and destroy it. I guess that's why I love dogs!
Anyway it was very disappointing and the highlight of the day was a
double steakburger with pickles!
I hope others have better luck if you go there,
Dave Pierce
St. Louis County

--
D. Pierce