All:

Hoping someone on the list might have an answer to my question - Not a bird sighting.  Instead, yesterday when my family and I were heading to my parents house taking Hwy N out of Bourbon (Crawford Co.) toward Hwy 185 we could not help but to notice the number of dead trees (mostly Oaks) along the Ozark landscape.  All of the trees appeared to have only recently died considering they all had leaves (but brown ones).  Additionally, this was not an anyone particular area at random along the ridges in a 10 mile stretch of Hwy N across Crawford and Washington Counties.  I am quite familiar with this part of Missouri and cannot say I have ever seen anything like it before and was wondering if this could not be an outbreak of the Red Oak Borer (Enapholodes rufulus).  Here is more information for those that might be interested in what I am referring to.

http://www.uark.edu/%7Efstephen/new/ROB/ROB.html

Anyways, if anyone on the list has a clue as to what is going on I would very much appreciate being educated.

Thanks,
Josh

P.S.  I have quite a few pictures of the condition of some of these ridges I can share later tonight if anyone is interested - However, gotta go celebrate the birth of America and my Mother-in-law first!

 Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO
MO-Records: www.showme-birds.com
Bird Photos: http://www.pbase.com/jpuf