Has anyone ever seen a house finch drink from a hummingbird feeder? I saw a female drinking from mine a couple of days ago. It had been dry for awhile, but this was right after a rain, so I would have expected to see her at the birdbath or down in the creek.

Amy Jefferson
Jefferson City
Cole County

From: Jean Leonatti <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, July 7, 2010 9:38:48 AM
Subject: another squirrel story

My hummingbird feeder has been unexpectedly stone dry when I come home from work for several days now.  I knew I had several hummingbirds in the backyard, but not enough to drink it dry.  And the feeder closer to the house would still be full.    I saw the Downy come, but it would take of family of them to empty it.

Last night, while I was eating dinner the culprit revealed himself.  A squirrel climbed the shepherd’s hook.  Kept his back feet on the hook, and dangled his body down until his front feet where on the bottom of the hummingbird feeder.   His weight tilted the feeder so that the sugar water easily flowed out of one of the ports …… right into his open mouth!   Ingenious, annoying little rascals.

Jean Leonatti
Boone County
Columbia, MO