From: Jean Leonatti <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, July 7, 2010 9:38:48 AM
Subject: another squirrel story

My hummingbird feeder has been unexpectedly stone dry when I come home from work
for several days now.  I knew I had several hummingbirds in the backyard, but
not enough to drink it dry.  And the feeder closer to the house would still be
full.    I saw the Downy come, but it would take of family of them to empty it.

Last night, while I was eating dinner the culprit revealed himself.  A squirrel
climbed the shepherd’s hook.  Kept his back feet on the hook, and dangled his
body down until his front feet where on the bottom of the hummingbird feeder.
His weight tilted the feeder so that the sugar water easily flowed out of one of
the ports …… right into his open mouth!   Ingenious, annoying little rascals.
Jean Leonatti
Boone County
Columbia, MO