I was not too surprised to find half a dozen Least Sandpipers this morning at the Thompson River Wetland. This is the private WRP area NW of Chillicothe. I thought from the way it looked last week and all the Killdeer that were there there would be some other returning shorebirds this week. I WAS surprised to find a single Wilson's Snipe there this early though. Still lots of Killdeer, a flock of 50+ White Pelicans, several Great Blue Herons, two Green Herons, a female Mallard, and a Wood Duck with 3 young ones were also seen at TRW. I had flushed a Woodcock earlier near the River.

 It has been a good year in North Mo. for Sedge Wrens as I have found them in many locations the last several days. I think this is at least partly due to the delayed hay cutting from all the rain this year. Have also found good numbers of Henslow's and Grasshopper Sparrows, Bobolinks, and Upland Sandpipers. Have seen Loggerhead Shrikes with fledglings at a couple locations last few days too.

 Myrna Carlton and I listened to a Black-billed Cuckoo calling continuously for several minutes late morning Tuesday. It was in the low wet area North of the Parking lot at Pawnee Praire CA Harrison Co. We enjoyed seeing and hearing many of the other Grassland Birds while there and esp around Dunn Ranch. It was great MILD Summer day to be there and enjoy the Praire plants too and the open Vistas of that area.

Later,
Steve Kinder
Chillicothe, Livingston Co.