Dear Mike,

Mea culpa.  I meant the language I think gets centered in southern counties, but sorry if that's not accurate.  But I think Eliot imagined RP was the "correct" version, as witness his annoyance at Bennett.  Mainly I was distinguishing what became RP as what was the posh version of "southron."  So "south" as opposed to "north Britain," a phrase that outraged Stevenson. But clearly it is not all RP: I was not very clear on that.  And of course when you get to Cornwall, it is again another issue.

 There is a Scottish Standard English also, which is not Scots, but which some imagine correct.

Cheers,
Nancy
>>> Mikemail <[log in to unmask]>07/10/10 4:13 PM >>>
I think we would find that much of the 'south' spoke Estuary English, Essex English, Home counties English - not to be  confused with RP which is indeed 'received' by those who attend Public Schools.  (a Public school in England,of course, means a private school) I believe David Crystal once gave this figure as something less than 5% of the population.  They are scattered far and wide and not exclusively in the South.
Mike