I don't think either absolute is right. It was genocide; it was a belief
in equality and unalienable rights that was a new vision of the relation
of people and government. Nothing is just one thing or its opposite.

One can love the ideals and hate the failures to live by them. And yes,
I know how those grand words got distorted in the first version of the
Constitution: I teach it every year. My point is that one must have
ideals to live by, and Jefferson's were grand in their articulation,
failed in his own life and the in first version of the Constitution--and
in many readings of it as well as much of our history. But whose ideals
are so much better and who anywhere really lives totally by them? I'm
not justifying, just asking.

But one cannot refute naiveté with Buffy St. Marie's simplistic
absolutes either.
Nancy

>>> Carrol Cox 07/04/10 1:53 PM >>>
The genocide basic to this nation's birth
Buffy St. Marie

Carrol