> Nancy Gish wrote:
>
> It's not just Illinois.  I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
> and have always said the positive anymore.  It's midwestern but
> broader than Illinois.  I have to explain that a lot anymore.
> Nancy

That's interesting. I taught for two years at Northern Michigan, and if
I encountered it there in my students I didn't notice it. My wife comes
from Arthur Illinois (sort of between Decatur and Urbana-Champaign) and
the first time I really focused on the construction was when she used
it.  The UP is quite a distance from central Illinois, and while I don't
know anything about Wisconsin usage, I have never encountered it from
any Illinois resident who lived north of Bloomington. If it occurs in
two such separated spots it may occur in others two, by what mode of
transmission I could not guess. I grew up in southwestern Michigan --
never encountered it there. And even though I hear it quite a bit
anymore it still always sounds weird to me. (And I don't kow if my usage
in thepreceding sentence was correct ornot.)

Carrol