Sorry, Mike, just recalling snippets of the day as I write all this.

The inmates might indeed all have been at communal prayer - the lecturer on
the day mentioned that this, and nightly / early morn. vigils have been
observed since Ferrar's original time, especially by Nicholas himself, who
was devout in the extreme.
But, unlike a monastery or the like, this was always optional, and a strict
rota applied to sharing-out the vigils in order to ensure their health
wasn't affected.

Ferrar himself though, is thought to have worn himself out as a result.

By coincidence, Ted Hughes was quite a direct descendant, on his mother's
side, of Nicholas Ferrar.