At least 36 participants joined Jim Malone, Pat Lueders and I for a trip of birding around Columbia Bottom CA (St. Louis County) this morning.   By my count we ended the morning with 64 species.

Highlights included:

Many waders...  With Great Egrets being the most common prior the start of the fieldtrip, but Little Blue Herons most abundant during the fieldtrip (36 Little Blue's by my count).  Also observed two Snow Egrets, possibly the same bird, 21 Cattle Egrets and 2 Green Heron.

Shorebird numbers were low (but the water is high); 3 Semipalmated Plover, 2 Black-necked Stilt (only observed prior the fieldtrip), 2 Spotted Sandpiper, 1 Solitary Sandpiper, 3 Semipalmated Sandpiper, 2 Least Sandpiper and 6 Dunlin.

However, the bird pointed out by 'Ray' was likely the highlight of the morning.  A BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO perched out in the open.

Flycatcher highlights included 2 ALDER FLYCATCHERS, 1 WILLOW FLYCATCHER and numerous Eastern Kingbirds.

Cedar Waxwings could be heard at every stop we made today.

At least one lingering Savanah Sparrow was seen as well as many Grasshopper Sparrows.

Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO
MO-Records: www.showme-birds.com
Bird Photos: http://www.pbase.com/jpuf