Led a Burroughs Audubon field trip to locations along 45 Hwy in Platte &
Buchanan Counties  yesterday, 5/23.  Our group of sixteen visited Lewis & Clark
State Park, Little Bean Marsh, and Swamp Rd. We tallied 73 species in 3.5
hours.  Had to drive on the backroads to get to our field trip locations due to a
bridge detour on 45 Hwy. Talk about some gorgeous scenery.  At 11:30 a.m.
we retired to Pat’s Steakhouse on 45 Hwy. Pat has some mean home cooking
and a sense of humor that keeps us coming back. The bridge work isn’t helping
business she says.

Lewis & Clark SP (Buchanan County)
If you want looks aplenty at Orchard Orioles and Baltimore Orioles, this is the
place to go. We had Orchards and Baltimores in the mowed grass under the
trees very close to us--near the first restroom to your right as you come in
sight of the lake. We observed both oriole species in flight all over the area and
in and out of a stand of willows near the lake. We looked up in one tree near
the restrooms and had a Western Kingbird on a nest. On a branch below the
nest sitting quiet as can be was a bird we didn’t spot for awhile until one
member called it out—a Common Nighthawk at close range. Great looks at it!
Heard an Alder Flycatcher singing there as well as numerous Yellow Warblers.
Back over the bridge (you take a left at one of the management buildings as
you’re coming in before you see the lake) we saw and heard numerous
Grasshopper Sparrows, Lark Sparrows, Dickcissels, and 1 female Blue Grosbeak,
as well as those orioles!  The lake itself held some Double-crested Cormorants
and 9 Black Terns. (Friday night when I scouted out L&C SP I found a patch of
bright white in the tall reeds across the lake.  Turned out to be mostly Cattle
Egrets along with 2 Little Blue Herons and 5 White-faced Ibis mixed in with
them. The lake was also teeming with at least  100 Black Terns Friday night.
Those birds were not around Sunday.  Busy weekend; sorry for late post!)

Little Bean Marsh and Swamp Rd (Platte County)
Had more Alder Flycatchers at Little Bean as well as a Bell’s Vireo and 2 Tree
Swallows in a nest box.  Swamp Road gave us a colorful end to the birding part
of the trip--close up and extended looks at Prothonotary Warblers (PROW).
One perched on an exposed twig and modeled for quite a long time, gracing us
with views of both sides before belting out his tune for everyone to see and
hear.  All bins trained on the PROW and smiles underneath the bins.  Nice.
More Yellow Warblers and Alder Flycatchers at Swamp Rd. A Great Egret was
observed as we were leaving.

Great day and nice to meet new people and chat with old ones.  By old ones I
mean old friends, of course…. ha!

Laura Gilchrist
Platte County, KC

Canada Goose