In those cases where flash causes temporary visual impairment, it's
not only the case that the bird is disturbed (as it would be by a
range of other activities in the park); the bird's ability to act with
its typical effectiveness in response to the disturbance is
diminished.   This suggests to me that some restrictions on the use of
flash in the bird garden would be appropriate, such as a time-of-day
restriction that would take into account natural light levels.

An additional comment:  I do wish Olivero and Cohen had included
citations, as I would like to know how they reached their conclusions.

Sherry McCowan
Saint Louis, Missouri