Back on line after weeks of trying to get my computer up an running after a
hard drive crash.

I went to Eagle Bluffs last Sunday. The highlight for me was a large flock
of black terns - maybe 50+ birds doing areal maneuvers  over the
distribution channel. They were beautiful to watch, especially when they
turned direction on a dime and swooped down to pick something off the
surface of the water.

The other highlight was the scissor-tailed flycatcher(s). I saw a male and a
female. I first noticed the male perched on the electrical wires. He spent
some time preening in between feeding flights. I noticed that he seemed to
keep looking over his shoulder. When I looked in the direction he was
looking in I saw a red tailed hawk in the distance perched on another
telephone pole about 5 poles away. Finally the scissor tail took and flew
directly towards the red tail. It was then I noticed that a female female
scissor tail dive bombing the red tail. The male joined in the fray, which
dislodged the red tail from the pole. The two scissor tails then proceeded
to chase the red tail down the line of telephone poles. I actually observed
the female riding on the back of the red tail for a few seconds, with the
red tail obviously trying to shake her off. The drama between the scissor
tails and the red tail probably lasted for no more than a minute or two, but
it was amazing to see the two little birds cooperating to drive off the
hawk.

Mark Gutchen
Columbia, MO