I took a quick work break at my home office minutes ago because I heard
warblers outside.  I have never seen this warbler in person, so I was a bit
excited.  I kept repeating "chestnut cheeks, black line through the eye and
black crown".  He gave me good looks from underneath and from the side, but
I was most thankful that he bowed to show me his crown.  I ran into the
house to grab my Peterson's Warbler field guide and there is no doubt in my
mind that he was a Cape May Warbler.  Is this unusual for St. Louis?  Given my
description, is there anything else it could have been?
We've had plenty of warblers in the back yard over the past couple of weeks,
but I don't bother posting unless something seems unusual (for fear I will bore
everyone).  This was very exciting to me, but probably routine for many of
you.  I don't have the opportunity to get out as much as most of the folks on
the list, so everything I see and hear excites me.  Last week I was holding
very still watching a Magnolia Warbler in our Apple tree and eventually it came
within a foot of my face.  I could have died a happy woman right on the spot.
Happiness is very easy to come by.

Good birding,

Michele Rambaud
Maryland Heights, MO
...soon to be Wildwood, MO on 40 wooded acres (my IBA)!

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/