Good morning to all and Happy Mother's Day!

I was so tired last night after birding all day and not getting home til 10pm
(school event) that I nodded off like 10 times before even getting to the gull
section in eBird. ha! I had to shut things down and finish this morning.

Great day of birding yesterday with my sister on the west side of Smithville
Lake in Clay County. She helped spot the birds and was the master of the tally
sheet. The bird bug has gotten her!

The Lake Remote trail and the Smoke & Davey trail were both excellent stops.
The view around Lake Remote with locust trees in bloom was breathtaking.
(Red Summer Tanager plus white locust blooms plus blue sky =
good vibes!) The warblers thought so, too, as there were tons there, including
a Cape May singing its high notes. I heard it sing over and over and scrambled
around a good bit before finding it up in the deciduous trees near the lake.
Stunning male! Linda Williams and I saw a male Cape May at Watkins Mill a
couple years back for NAMC. I like this pattern! The very beginning of the trail
by the Lake Remote sign was full of sparrows, both N. and Orchard Orioles, and
more.

The Smoke & Davey trail highlight was 2 Peregrine Falcons flying overhead at
different altitudes as we were just beginning on the trail. I looked up and there
was a large bird in flight coming in pretty low over the parking lot. Got on it
with bins and absolutely perfect view. Saw the gray barring first and then the
bird looked down to the side toward us and saw those flashy sideburns. Up a
bit higher was another one in same binocular view. Fave sighting of the day.
There were plenty of warblers at Smoke & Davey, too.

The dam held 8 Black Terns (in the afternoon) as well as a handful of Forster's
Terns, Franklin's and Ring-billed gulls, a Pied-billed Grebe, and a couple of
Common Loons.

The pond at 188th and 169 Hwy held about 30 Franklin's Gulls and 8 Forster's
Terns. They were quite a sight sitting on the dock, Franklin's Gulls on the right
side and Forster's on the left as if posing for a group picture.

Saw 2 Scissor-tailed Flycatchers in flight near the Harbor View subdivision on F
Hwy where Doug Willis reported one male a few days ago. I didn't know exactly
where the subdivision was so I wrote it down and was planning to find the spot
and look for them. As it happened, I saw them in flight over a field on F, called
them out, and my sis pipes up...oh, right by Harbor View. That was easy. :)

Camp Branch Marina area held a 1 Greater & 2 Lesser Yellowlegs as well as 1
Spotted Sandpiper, some Ring-billed Gulls, and a Caspian Tern.

At Sailboat Cove in Paradise we found a Mute Swan, possibly the same one
found there back in March.

Bobolinks were found in multiple stops as we drove around the count area.
Heard more than we saw but several males posed on the barbed-wire fences.
Tons of Swainson's Thrushes were seen and their lovely call notes and songs
heard. 1 Gray-cheeked Thrush at Public Access 27 ended the day!

Observation date:     5/8/10
Number of species:     96  (17 warbler species)

Canada Goose     57
Mute Swan     1
Mallard     3
Blue-winged Teal     2