From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Dave Haenni
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:13 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Ruddy Turnstone, Marbled godwit, stilt sandpiper and more

Started at Firma and Dalbow road in St Charles county. Right at intersection
there were quite a few shorebirds, the best was a single Marbled Godwit.
This bird was not found on my way out.

I then continued to the wet spot on the left  before the RR tracks. This had
the usual shorebirds plus a few Dowitchers, a Stilt Sandpiper and 2 Ruddy
Turnstones.

Across the tracks on the left the water is drying up but still held easily
500 shorbirds:
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Sanderling(1)
Killdear
Solitary sandpiper(SP)
Semipalmated SP
Least SP
Bairds SP
Dunlin
Stilt SP (3)
Wilson Phalaropes
Pectoral SP
I have been to this location twice and each time a Peregrine has come
through and spooked the birds.

I ws going to continue up 79 but the weather looked bad so I headed to
Columbia Bottoms. Very few shorebirds, did have 2 Little blue Herons and a
Grasshopper sparrow near the bridge to nowhere.

Then went to riverlands. No shorebirds (lots of mud flats) but did add
spotted SP. Also Black terns in the main channel a 1/4 mile above dam along
with some black headed gulls, at least one had an eye ring so I think it ws
a Frankins, the rest may have been Laughing gulls.

Lincoln Shields had some gulls on the mud flats along with 2 Caspian Terns.

Then stopped at "stonehedge" parking lot. Cross the old railbed, head up the
left side of the bank ( high boots required) walked up about 300 yards to a
boatdock, probaly over 1000 shorebirds. All the ones previously mentioned
but no Godwits or Turnstones. Added the following to the list for today:
Semi-Palmated plovers (at least 40) and some white-rumped Sandpipers.

Dave Haenni, Des Peres Mo