Rad Widmer followed up on my Marbled Godwit today and got a good look at the tail and wing pattern and it turned out to be a female Hudsonian godwit. I am thankful Rad posted this fact so anyone needing a Marbled Godwit does not chase out there for no reason, although the area has a lot of birds and is worth a visit.

Without seeing the wing and tail pattern, which is diagnostic, I was basing my I.D. on Sibleys which I had in the truck. The female Hudsonian in Sibleys looked nothing like the bird I saw and the Marbled was a much closer match, so much so that I was positive about my call. AFter Rad's post I looked at my copy of Shorebirds by Hayman, Marchant and Prater and it shows a much better image of a female Hudsonian that fits the bird I saw. Once agian, I stand corrected. Sorry, Rad, if you were chasing a Marbled,that you did not get your bird.

DAve Haenni, Des Peres, Mo.