Some highlights today while Steve Kinder and I birded some areas around Saint Joseph were Caspian Tern (1), Black-crowned Night-Herons (2), Yellow-headed Blackbirds (7) around Horseshoe Lake. And in a little ephemeral pool in a harvested field were Dunlins and Short-billed Dowitchers. A light phase Swainson's Hawk was spotted perched in a dead tree bordering Mud Lake.

The bird of the day was a female PAINTED BUNTING hanging out with male Indigo Buntings, White-crowned Sparrows, a Harris's Sparrow, Swainson's Thrushes, a Orchard Oriole and Baltimore Orioles which were all roadside near Contrary Creek.

In our backyard (before we left for the oxbows) we watched some of the regular feeder birds and also Baltimore Orioles, Swainson's Thrushes, White-throated, White-crowned Sparrows, a Lincoln's and a Clay-colored Sparrow.