In spite of the rather cool temperature and stiff winds we were treated to several highlights during our NAMC, Buchanan County, on Saturday, May 8th. Some special species were Green Heron (2), Black-crowned Night-Heron (22) [these at Horseshoe Lake]; two Upland Sandpipers, fifteen Bobolinks and five Yellow-headed Blackbirds around Lake Contrary area. Some of the participants in the more wooded count areas were treated to nineteen (19) species of warblers including Golden-winged, Yellow-throated, Palm, Bay-breasted, Prothonotary and Mourning. In addition to the numerous Chipping and Savannah Sparrows were Clay-colored, Field, Vesper, Grasshopper, Lincoln's, White-throated, Harris's and White-crowned Sparrows. Also tallied were a couple of American Pipits.

With 138 Swainson's Thrushes counted (so far), this must be a "banner" year for them!

* Preliminary results show 147 species. I am still waiting for some additional reports from some of the count's participants to be forwarded to me.

http://mobirds.org/