I was at Schiller's Camera store the other day, in my muddy outdoor clothes from bird banding at the World Bird Sanctuary all morning.  The guy who helped me with my photo job was planning to be one of the photographers at the WBS Photo Day last Sunday.  He mentioned that his 8-year-old son is VERY interested in birds, keeps records in his journal, and meets his dad at the door with, "Guess what I saw today!?!  A Rose-breasted Grosbeak!"  I quickly gave him the St. L. Audubon website and suggested he look up the Saturday walks, so he can take his son.  I told him the group LOVES to have kids along, and they are all very helpful.  I didn't get interested in bird till I was in my late 40s, but I still get as excited as a kid when I see something really cool!

Susan Eaton
Kirkwood, St. Louis CO., MO

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:29 PM, Dianne & Steve Kinder <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Swan Lake NWR had an Outdoor Day for 8th Graders from several area Schools at the Refuge yesterday. There were various activities for the kids to do and things to learn about. I had a table set up there representing Grand River Audubon to talk to them about Birds and Birding. More of them actually seemed interested than I expected and were a nice bunch of young people. You never know about that age group!-?  On the down side none of them even knew what Audubon was. I know we have sponsored Audubon Adventures in some of those Schools. Guess we need to do a better job of getting more info out there.

Steve Kinder
Chillicothe Livingston Co.

--- On Wed, 5/5/10, Charlene Malone <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Charlene Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Introducing youth to birding
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wednesday, May 5, 2010, 3:20 PM

Was out at Busch CA (St. Chas. co) the other day and took my "usual route"
past Hampton, #1, #2 & #15 Lakes. During the weekday there is
almost always a group of kids on a field trip at these last lakes
learning to fish.

To my surprise their was also a group of kids with bins looking at birds
between Lakes 1 & 2 being lead by one of the MDC volunteers/staff.
AND... there were African-American students in the group. YEA!!

Kudos to the Busch Staff to also include birding as part of these kids' outdoor
experiences. There are other ways to enjoy nature besides just fishing and hunting.

Charlene Malone
St. Louis co.